Thread: Surrender
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
digdug

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
This is such great news. Sponsor shouldn't be your friend. He is your guide to the program. Follow suggestions willingly and you can make it like so many others.

A nice thing I've found is that if you dedicate to meetings everyday, people will start noticing and remembering you. They will come up and talk to you. Sometimes people in AA are a bit hesitant of newcomers because they see them once and the person never comes back. I know it's wrong. The newcomer is supposed to be the most important person in the room. But it happens. But your dedication will go a long way to becoming a part of the community.

If you need to call someone, get numbers from your AA group. Ask your sponsor if he has any suggestions of people to call when he's not around. People get it in their minds that they are bothering someone by making a call. The fact is, people don't give out their numbers if they don't want to be called. I know it may seem counterintuitive, but you calling them, even in your desperation, helps them stay sober.

Keep checking in. We are rooting for you!