View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
In my own experience with my AH I found that maintenance is his hardest battle. I believe this is caused from stress and him not being able to handle day to day "normal" life stresses. I think the fact that he's being put under pressure and stress from his job in a controlled environment where there are no dealers lurking and eager to sell him drugs (to make their profits) was a great thing! It sounds like the rehab he has gone to know what they are doing!! Especially the fact that when he comes out he will be working and this will be his every day life.
I personally took up a hobby to keep myself busy during the time my husband was home. I still enjoyed cooking dinner and doing family meals and watching t.v. shows with him.. but when he was tired or moody and just wanted to relax I focused on my hobby. (which happens to be couponing) It seemed like in my husbands life.. he was able to hold down his job.. until he relapsed and then would spin out of control in all aspects (pretty quickly). He is not a functional addict.
I also think your still in shock.. just finding out about a loved one's chronic disease that will be life long is pretty SHOCKING! Even if it were diabetes. They would still want to regulate their own diet with help. You can tell a diabetic to not eat cake.. but you know what?? It's their choice!! It's sad. My mom and sister and father are diabetic. (my father passed away from heart complications). Good luck.
I think your replying to me? THANK YOU. Yes, on like everything you said. I am worried about maintenance. I am worried about how I will handle things when he comes home. I am still in shock. But Im trying very hard to learn.