View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
BC
I know lots of addicts. Lots. And many of them have 20-25 years clean. They will tell you they are one bad decision away from falling back into active addiction. With all due respect for the addiction doctor, it's possible that you may have heard and interpreted what you wanted to hear because plasticity refers to a permanent change......not one that repairs to its original state (according to physics and neuroscience). Do the cravings lessen over time? Absolutely....to the point that it (according to the addicts with long term recovery) isn't really a huge issue to their day to day lives anymore.......but.....pick up......even once and they know they could spiral quickly into full blown active addiction. BAM.

The difference between relapse and active addiction? A relapse would be the addict uses, recognizes that this could head south quickly, and they do what they need to do to get back on track with recovery FAST. Active addiction is when they go back into the deceitful behaviors, hiding their use, lying and covering up their use. Relapse can happen......but there is a razors edge between "relapse" and "active addiction". And not even the brightest MD or PhD can predict which will happen to any given individual. Serial relapsers are active addicts.

There are several people here on SR who have newly experienced addiction with their loved one (less than a year or two). Some are extremely surprised to find out that what they thought was a recent occurrence has been going on for years. There are others who have been dealing with addiction for 5, 10, 15+ years......or they are addicts in recovery themselves. My gentle suggestion to all of the folks who have loved ones who have been recently diagnosed as "addicts" pay attention to those who have lots of experience......particularly recovering addicts. Take what you need and store the rest (you may find their information comes in handy in the future).

gentle hugs
ke
No I didn’t hear what I wanted to hear from the professional doctors at the rehab, it was explained to me clearly, as it has also been explained to me by my husbands parents who have dealt with their sons issues long before I came into the picture. They are as experienced and as educated on the matter as anyone in my opinion. My father in law was the one who mentioned plasticity, and yes it refers to a permanent change in the brain, the memory of drug use, the link to emotions and can cause relapse. It will always be there and that is why addiction is a disease. All those things you mentioned, the behaviors addicts show those are the symptoms of their disease. Again it is not that complicated. It hurts like he(( when you’re a wife, or a parent, but it is what it is. I am understanding now what caused my husband to relapse, but it started way before his decision to actually use.