View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Originally Posted by BlueChair View Post
The way I understand it, and I will now use my father in laws big word: Plastiticty, but the mind will always remember using drugs and the feeling and thats why people relapse. all the other symptoms that my husband is experiencing, Im told by the doctor they will go away in time because the brain will fully heal.

Wasnt this a relapse on your husbands part also, nothing more, nothing less?
BC
I know lots of addicts. Lots. And many of them have 20-25 years clean. They will tell you they are one bad decision away from falling back into active addiction. With all due respect for the addiction doctor, it's possible that you may have heard and interpreted what you wanted to hear because plasticity refers to a permanent change......not one that repairs to its original state (according to physics and neuroscience). Do the cravings lessen over time? Absolutely....to the point that it (according to the addicts with long term recovery) isn't really a huge issue to their day to day lives anymore.......but.....pick up......even once and they know they could spiral quickly into full blown active addiction. BAM.

The difference between relapse and active addiction? A relapse would be the addict uses, recognizes that this could head south quickly, and they do what they need to do to get back on track with recovery FAST. Active addiction is when they go back into the deceitful behaviors, hiding their use, lying and covering up their use. Relapse can happen......but there is a razors edge between "relapse" and "active addiction". And not even the brightest MD or PhD can predict which will happen to any given individual. Serial relapsers are active addicts.

There are several people here on SR who have newly experienced addiction with their loved one (less than a year or two). Some are extremely surprised to find out that what they thought was a recent occurrence has been going on for years. There are others who have been dealing with addiction for 5, 10, 15+ years......or they are addicts in recovery themselves. My gentle suggestion to all of the folks who have loved ones who have been recently diagnosed as "addicts" pay attention to those who have lots of experience......particularly recovering addicts. Take what you need and store the rest (you may find their information comes in handy in the future).

gentle hugs
ke