View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I had to laugh at myself because your question is one that I posed to myself several years ago and it sounded so familiar.

At around 6 years sober I was diagnosed with PTSD. After a few years of being treated for that I started to wonder if maybe my drinking was more related to the PTSD rather than alcoholism because the drinking was exacerbated by the PTSD. I put a lot of thought into whether or not it would be ok to try to drink again. The thought of finally being able to drink like a normal person and maybe have just a glass of wine with dinner was a pleasant thought. What helped me is "playing the tape all the way through," taking an honest look at my life and the history of what happens when I try to stick to having just one drink. That convinced me that it is not worth taking the chance of once again hurting everyone that loves or cares about me just for the sake of a drink or two. I would rather not be an alcoholic and never drink again than to be an alcoholic and pick up another drink thereby setting that chain of events in motion once again. It just is not worth the risk when I could easily be wrong. It does not hurt me at all to not drink but it can seriously hurt me to drink again and be an alcoholic. So I just consider myself an alcoholic and keep putting one foot in front of the other by not taking that drink.