Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
But honestly, what can I really offer these people? I've only been at this for six months. I have not completed the steps. I don't have much experience to share about my sobriety other than I've taken every single suggestion made to me. Hell, 6 months ago, I didn't even know what the steps were (this is my first try at sobriety). I still feel like a newcomer sometimes, especially when I attend meetings with AA's who have 20-30 years.

Any advice for a first time H&I commitment? I just don't want to come across as this phony AA person when the TRUTH is that I'm still scared to death of my own relapse and I'm just doing everything in my power to not go back to the living hell that was my life in active addiction.
The above is plenty of Experience, Strength, & Hope for somebody in rehab to hear. Don't hide from the truth - the fact that you are six months from where your audience is gives your story great relevance. You ARE a newcomer (relatively), but the six months that you have gone through were the hardest six months in my experience. Tell your story and don't feel like it has to be anything other than what it is. If one person gets the message that recovery is real, achievable, and so much more than white knuckling it for the rest of your days - you have done all you have been asked to do. Tell it from the heart and I guarantee you will connect with way more than one person.

Let it rip, you'll do fine.