Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Piglet22

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post

One pattern of behavior that helps me to this day is to live each day as if it were a separate life. Meaning, if there was no tomorrow, if putting any and everything off were no longer an option, what would you start doing? What books would you start reading? What repairs would you start making? What places would you go? What would you start learning? Who would you call? What amends would you make?
I absolutely love this advice!

I've taken the time myself to discover what I truly enjoy. I've often struggled with time off, or free time. I feel that if I'm not being "productive," then I'm wasting my time. And that often led to feelings of being a failure, which inevitably turned to drinking those feelings away.

I've had to redefine how I look at being productive. I've realized that "being productive" doesn't necessarily mean checking items off my to-do list. It means living an authentic life. I used to think that using that free time to read was being selfish and unproductive. But I now see that I'm doing what I enjoy while I read, and I'm living my most authentic life when I treat myself to what I enjoy. Reading now fits within my definition of being productive.

I hope you're able to discover new revelations about yourself during this time!