Old 09-23-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mfanch
Recovered

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Hey all,

I'll have 6 months sober on Saturday. I just finished my 4th step and will probably do 5 sometime this week if my sponsor has some free time. I have a home group and I attend meetings almost every day.

Anyway, my sponsor has been pushing me to do more service. I already make coffee, setup chairs, talk to newcomers after the meeting, attend the business meetings, etc.

So on a whim, I signed up to bring a meeting to a local treatment facility in October. I had a nice talk with our intergroup rep and he said that a person usually need a year+ to do this, but he feels confident in my sobriety and my commitment to the principles of AA, so he thought I'd be ok.

It's a speaker discussion meeting. Now I've told my story before and I don't have any issues speaking in public (I do a lot of presentations to large clients in my day job).

But thinking about it now, I'm feeling hesitant. The truth is, 6 months ago, I was in a treatment facility myself. Now I loved when outside groups would bring us meetings every night. I loved hearing stories of experience, strength and hope. Those rehab meetings made me feel comfortable enough to walk into the rooms without fear when I reentered the real world.

But honestly, what can I really offer these people? I've only been at this for six months. I have not completed the steps. I don't have much experience to share about my sobriety other than I've taken every single suggestion made to me. Hell, 6 months ago, I didn't even know what the steps were (this is my first try at sobriety). I still feel like a newcomer sometimes, especially when I attend meetings with AA's who have 20-30 years.

My sponsor just said to tell the truth. But of course he is talking in "sponsor-speak" so that can be taken in so many ways.

Any advice for a first time H&I commitment? I just don't want to come across as this phony AA person when the TRUTH is that I'm still scared to death of my own relapse and I'm just doing everything in my power to not go back to the living hell that was my life in active addiction.

It's a one person commitment but I was told I could bring someone else. Everyone seems to be busy that night so it looks like I'll probably be on my own.

Thanks
Six months sober was a lifetime when I was in rehab. I couldn't stay sober six MINUTES.

Sometimes the folks with 6 months-2 years are the most credible folks there! My dad and I go to treatment meetings all the time. My dad has decades of sobriety and they just gawk at him when he says how much time he has.

I would focus on the men and women who need you at the treatment center.

Also, when I had 6 months sober, my sponsor also "suggested" that I do this and that service commitment. I balked. What?! Me?! Ready to do THAT?! Yes, I was. My sponsor knew when I was ready. I followed her direction and I was fine.

Glad you are here.