Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
I love that the guy from intergroup said usually 1 year but you are doing so great that the rules do not apply to you, AA is so inconsistent! I went through the same thing after 6 months sober but i sure as hell wasn't doing as much service as you are which is a good thing for you provided you keep monitoring how you feel and don't take on too much.

There is a theory that seems quite sound and that is a person who is fresh sober will be able to relate to someone with 6 months or a year clean time more than someone with 25 years so personally i think you do have something to offer at 6 months as you have started working the steps, this will be even more apparent to you after you finish your step 5.

Good luck on the new commitment and kep working through those steps as quickly as possible:-)
Absolutely true!

This is precisely what I tell my sponsees when we do something like doing alumni meetings at our old treatment center and we tell our story. I tell them that the guys who are still in there are almost always interested in hearing from the guy who left a week ago, or has 3 months at most. They are still in the infancy and immediacy of their recovery. I know when I was there and listening to different gents come in and tell their story, I inevitably found myself drawn to those with a few months of sobriety, as I could grasp that. I could see perhaps having 2-3 months sobriety. They spoke about the things that I was interested in, like how did the obsession to drink lift? How did they go about their day, being "free" from rehab rules and supervision? When the guys with 5, 10, 15 years spoke, I had a harder time identifying, because they were on a different plane of their journey - something hard to decipher and connect with. Sure they offered a good message, but I wasn't able to receive it fully. You know what I mean?

So this is why I say that at 6 months, I think it's a wonderful opportunity for the people you speak to and put on meetings to see how great six months can be! You will find that they will connect with you much quicker than perhaps an old timer with 30 years. Again, generalization, but that has been my experience so far.

Great news