View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ptcapote

Hi Larest, and welcome!!

I am sure others will be along to share their experiences as well but I wanted to tell you that what you're thinking/feeling is correct. It is never too early to start changing course if you think you're going in the wrong direction.

People who have problems with alcohol aren't all daily drinkers. Some are very much like your boyfriend, actually. I don't know how old he is but I was that way through most of my 20s. Only into my mid-30s did daily/nightly drinking become an issue and, when it did, the slide was very quick.

AA is for anyone, ANYONE, who thinks they might have a problem or maybe is just curious about it. It's not all folks who have daily drinking problems or are down-and-out. There are open meetings where people just come to listen and it's open to everyone...regardless of whether they drink or not. Check online, AA has all kinds of listings there.

Also, most people who do not have a problem with drinking do not think about their drinking or worry about it. If he is worried, then it's probably a decent indication that he could have a problem now or down the line. Moderating is often not an option but he can try to avoid drinking, period, for a month or two and see what happens.

In any case, read around here, check AA online, and continue to post. You (and your boyfriend) will find no judgement of any kind here.

And, as I said, you sound like a very wise person and he's lucky to have you.

Good luck to you and welcome again!