View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ptcapote

I'm a little over seven months now and I don't think of it unless something very, very specific will remind me...like being in an old watering hole. That said, I also have changed my lifestyle quite a bit so I am rarely around old watering holes or in situations that would trigger me. The home part was the hardest because by the end my kitchen table was my own bar but I just don't spend a ton of time at home anymore.

I agree with ImperfectlyMe...it was somewhere around 3-4 months when it lifted but everyone is different. For me, this past week in DC with the shootings actually showed me my progress right up front and personal. I thought I hadn't been making any progress (which, forgive these goofy verbal gymnastics for a moment) but I really was because I hadn't thought about making it...which was progress. Then that tragedy happened and hours later I realized I hadn't thought of a drink at one time throughout the day. I saw others going to the bar and I just didn't even associate it with myself or something I would do. It seemed foreign.

Only later was I like, "Holy sh*t, I would have been in that bar/restaurant at lunchtime downing the wine seven months ago to take away the stress and worry..."

So, hang in there. Day 2 is hard but the more time you throw at it, the easier it gets. And one day you won't even be thinking about it.

Never would have believed it on Day 2 but it does indeed happen.

Stay strong and best wishes to you tonight!!