View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

This weekend is my wife's birthday. She asked me long ago to set it aside because she was going to take off from work. I'm a musician, and a little over a month ago was offered a really good gig for tonight. I was excited when I got the offer, checked my "gig" calender, saw the date was free, and accepted.

Abut a week ago I realized what I did.

I told her and she was upset. We talked about it. She understood why I took the gig, and I told her I'd make sure I made it up to her somehow. Decided to book a hotel near the gig, and came up with some really fun plans for us to do tomorrow. Got her something she really wanted also (that she doesn't know about yet... ). Bottom line is we talked and worked it out, and we're both in great moods right now, getting ready to head out as soon as I finish my breakfast. She gets angry at times, but she doesn't attack me. I do the same with her. I actually learned that from her a long time ago when we first started dating. We were having an argument/fight... and she looked at me twisted and said, "What are you doing?" I didn't understand. And she said, "You're acting as if I'm against you or something. I'm on your side, we're both on the same team here." Those weren't her exact words, but something clicked and I got the realization that yeah, we're in this together, and we need to remember that we're both on each others side. Sad to say, that was a new concept to me.

We men can be jerks, maybe even more often than women. I say do your best to communicate and make the best of it. The therapy will help, and get the ball rolling. It won't take up the entire day. You can plan around it. It might actually even be a great idea to bring this matter up while in your first session. Will give the therapist a good idea of the dynamic betweeen the 2 of you.