Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kialua

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post

In the literature the generic term is "survival traits", the point being that these "traits" were essential to our survival as children but become a hindrance as we grow into adulthood.
Mike
Moderator, SR
It has helped me immensely to identify these survival traits. I found how to work around them and not just be mad at myself for not being a "better" person.

I've shared before one of mine was lying when it was just as easy to tell the truth. My mind had been so conditioned to lying as a child, in hopes of escaping a beating and pleasing my dad, that I lied daily to everyone. As an adult I would find myself lying about the smallest things when it didn't matter one way or another. Honestly I think I could beat a lie detector test, it was just so second nature.

One example recently was my husband called to see if I had mailed a bill one morning. I hadn't gone out yet but was on track to be out in an hour. But I lied and said yes. He wouldn't have cared if it wasn't mailed yet, another hour would have been a fine answer, he was just reminding me. But I jumped to lying.

For a long time I wondered why I lied like that. After I attended some therapies I found the answer. I still find myself doing it, only occasionally, but now I can recognize it and deal with it positively instead of being disappointed with myself for lying.

Using the information found in ACoA can be healing or used as a crutch. I guess it's up to each person how they use it, healing or dependence.