Thread: What the WHAT?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GotGrace

What the WHAT?

My husband and I were invited to a new friend's house for dinner last night. We knew her long-term boyfriend would be there and that he is a foodie, so we were looking forward to a nice evening. Yesterday I did a lot of reading on SR and planning for how I would avoid drinking. When the hostess asked what we like to drink when she invited us I just said, "oh, I'm not drinking right now, so don't worry about me." I brought a bottle of tonic water and a lime with me. I was nervous but feeling pretty strong until I asked the boyfriend what he does for a living: wine distributor! And the rest of the evening was one bottle of wine after another with intricate descriptions on each wine's notes and, frankly, I don't know what because I purposely spaced out when it got to be too much.

I made it through the night without drinking. Thankfully, the food was delicious so I stuffed myself and that really helped. I truly think, too, that all of my reading here on SR helped a lot too. The community in this place is amazingly supportive, and I really didn't want to have to report a slip this morning. So, thank you, everyone, for helping me avoid the drink well before I even knew how much of a temptation it would be. It felt great to wake up clear-headed this morning.