View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DharmaQueen

Practice

Like any other way of living you want to establish, what may be most important is that you have a practice that you do, in some way, every day. What you practice, is what you get. Your willingness to do whatever it takes to not drink when you desperately want to, and some method(s) that bring you into the present moment of your mind and body experience. Saying "I don't drink", is much more powerful than "I won't drink". i laugh at myself when at times. I was eating pizza and the thought arose, "Who eats pizza without wine and beer? This is just not right, iced tea, what the...?" Oh, that's right, I don't drink. At least have some reminders that become automatic, that will help you find peace in sobriety. Another one I have when I want to drink, "This is time limited, stay on course". Do something that will bring you back to my body, like a hot shower, walk, splashing water on your face. I suppose the bottom line is that I need to have things in mind that are immediately accessible to me, and to persist in using them to circumvent my addictive patterns. Every day. All day long.