View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Fur babies count. we don't have kids either, but we have two cats and a dog. They miss their dad a lot !

I started by reading a book called 'Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff. Its about his family's struggle with his sons addiction, and attempts at treatment. Then I read his follow up book called "Clean - Overcoming Addiction" and it talks a lot about recovery, how addiction is a disease, how its treated in the USA, and what works and what maybe doesn't as far as approaches go. I liked it a lot. Then I read his sons book, Tweak by Nic Sheff and it was about his memoirs of when he was addicted, how he felt. Sort of hard to read but it was helpful. And Im reading this one now: In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts - Close Encounters with Addiction by Gabor Mate, and I am finding it really interesting, Id recommend.

These are on my list too:

Thinking Simply About Addiction by Ricahrd Sandor

Midbrain and the Beast by Dallas Bennett - this one Im reading next I think

Feeding the Monster - Don't have the author but someone suggested it.

Several books by Beverly Conyers have been recommended from this site to me, haven't looked them up yet

Get your loved one sober, alternatives to nagging, pleading, threatening also recommended on this site

soaring above co addiction, helping your loved one get clean while creating the life of your dreams by Lisa Espich

The Tao of Sobriety by D. Gregson

I want to change my life: how to overcome anxiety, depression, addiction by Steven Melemis

The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction: A Guide to coping with grief, stress, and anger that trigger Addictive Behaviors by Rebecca Williams

There is a list of books on the Newcomers forum too. Its like the first post at the top I think. I went through it, and I googled books, looked them up on amazon, and look at the age of the book too because things change over time, trying to stay current with what Im reading within a couple of years on most. I like to read plus when I cant sleep, nothing like a good addiction book , not really of course.