View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Kathleen41

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I have no problem "interrupting a drunk" on the way to his/her bottom. Going back out to do "some more research" is just too dangerous IMO. Dangerous to the drinker and more importantly, dangerous to others who may come in contact with the drinker.

I prefer to help Zane realize he is powerless without suggesting he begin drinking again so he finds his bottom. It's the safer option.
I understand your disagreement with my post. However, I'm just following the directions in the book. Nothing I post can keep someone else from drinking. If you think you can, you might need to think about that!! If you retread my post I told him to call his sponsor, and do what he needs to do. I also said I hope he chooses not to drink. I agree, it's very dangerous, and he may not "make it back" to us.

If someone is not convinced on step one, he is not convinced, and there will be no helping him until he is convinced:

"We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition.

Though there is no way of proving it, we believe that early in our drinking careers most of us could have stopped drinking. But the difficulty is that few alcoholics have enough desire to stop while there is yet time. We have heard of a few instances where people, who showed definite signs of alcoholism, were able to stop for a long period because of an overpowering desire to do so." Alcoholics Anonymous, 1st Edition, pg 31-32.

So, as outlandish as it may sound, it is by the book. I truly hope everyone who wants sobriety can achieve and maintain it. But I'm not foolish enough to believe anything I say or do is gonna keep someone else sober!!!