View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
warrens

Fandy,

I respectfully disagree. I do not think we do others favors by minimizing the seriousness of the issue. Blood alcohol >.30. Tolerance so high he didn't seem drunk, when that level is close to fatal for many people. Horrid cravings. Stress and anxiety off the charts.

I am a "high bottom drunk." I didn't lose the career, cars, home, kids. That was a disadvantage, as it obfuscated the seriousness of my issue. Had I continued, I am convinced that I would not be on top of the sod today.

Many of us MUST have a catharsis so vivid that we cannot ignore it. Some call it a spiritual awakening. I can show no greater affection for ACH than to raise the spectre of death, whether it is physical death or death of spirit, or death of career, family, future, etc.

You mean well, I am sure. But, would you tell one with a lump in her breast that "this will pass?" I have seen too many die from this disease, I am sorry.

I am not really interested in a back and forth on this issue. I would LOVE to be wrong in this person's case. But, he would be an exception among thousands.

The good news? 34 days is fabulous!! A long time for an alcoholic like me. I remember, at that point, thinking perhaps I might be able to manage that "normal drinking thing." Yeah, you guessed it, it didn't work.

Choose life. Choose joy.

Warren