Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Tides

Hi Goose:

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm only on day 6 in my current attempt to recover (and my first since finding SR). Being so short into this round of sobriety, I don't know that I am qualified to give any advice - and I'm not certain that's what you're asking for anyway.

Like you, I have been king of the stash. King of the empties. I'm cleaning out my basement this morning (fun!...not), and have found no fewer than 4 water bottles which once were filled with vodka. I even found a half full 1.75 which promptly got poured out. My wife would have freaked to. And with good reason. The fact that I drank enough to forget a liter or so stashed away somewhere tells me something.

I do not drink normally. Whatever normal is, my behavior was not.

Having quit a few times, however... 3 months here, 2 there, a few weeks or so other times, I always thought...well, I'll just give it up for a bit. Then I'll have a glass of wine at dinner, or a beer after I have given a presentation, or a drink to fit in with strangers after a class. I can remember every "first drink" after a period of sobriety. I remember what it was, the day of the week, the time of day, and the precise location. And I remember what it led to. Moderation, followed by less moderation, followed by drinking to excess and forgetting things I have said to or argued about with my wife.

The path is different for everyone. And I hope I'm not out of line saying so, but if you're wired at all like me - one for whom moderation has never been attainable - I'd say be very careful. There's a lot of support here at SR, and it seems to be a great place to check in, whatever one's thoughts are. Best wishes and good luck with your path.....