View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Celticgirl

RecoveryAttempt, congratulations on day five. I just find when I get really antsy, I'll do something mindless like run the vacuum or fold laundry or something with my hands to keep busy. I still haven't found the motivation to clean out the stupid junk drawer in my kitchen

When I first quit, I was reeling after a major shock and literally unable to do much of anything for a couple of days (you can look at some of my older posts) except lay on the couch or in bed, my heart pounding, my mind racing, and worrying about a million things at once. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, and my left eye started twitching (which it's done for years whenever I get stressed out).

After that initial shock wore off, I realized that I need to take better care of myself. So I got back to exercising regularly, eating regular meals, drinking lots of water, etc. Just the act of getting up, dressed, and out of the house for some fresh air made me feel so much better. I cleaned up my kitchen after days of dirty dishes sitting in the sink. I swept the floor. I washed a couple loads of clothes, anything to get my mind off all the stuff I was thinking about.

If it helps you, make a list of all the stuff you need to do around the house, even something relatively small like unloading the dishwasher or cleaning off a counter. Try to just tackle one or two things at a time. You'll feel great once you can check a couple things off your list.

Of course, you really don't have to do anything. Just staying sober can be a full time job. If you don't feel like tackling anything big, there's nobody that says you have to. Just take care of yourself and don't feel guilty. That stuff will get done someday. Be kind to yourself.