View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Bebetter

I don't think you have to put it in "forever" terms. I don't sit around thinking about what I am and am not going to do on December 16, 2045 or April 9, 2058 (though hopefully I'll still be breathing that day), so I'm not going to sit around thinking of myself growing old without booze. I also don't sit around thinking "take it 1 day at a time." My intellectual self knows I'm in this for the long-haul. My emotional self knows if I think in terms of forever, I will surely run away from sobriety and into a bottle as fast as I can. It's too much pressure. My goal is to free my mind completely from even wondering where booze fits into my life and just take it off the table. Like bugs. Lots of people eat bugs, but they are just not ever going to go into my mouth. There are lots of things in the world I don't ingest - lots of drugs I've drawn an invisible line against and I don't sit around worrying about getting through my entire life without cocaine. That's where I aim to put alcohol. On the other side of my line with bugs and cocaine.

Way to go, sipping your seltzer while drinks were put in your face. That is not cool. I guess they aren't taking it so seriously because you're saying you're doing the cleanse, but they'll get the message soon enough.