Thread: AA freethinkers
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Craaig
Naturalist

The suggestion "Take what you like, and leave the rest" is not frivolous. It really works for me.
As a 28+year member of AA, I've gone through a lot of changes "godwise." A history of fundamentalist Christianity, libertine guilt-ridden rejection and finally AA the traditional way, I've come to a much different understanding than that with which I started. Encapsulated, it is this: It's an inside job. I need to discover who I am (see my blog on this site on steps 4 & 5) and to maintain a regular and *honest* dialogue with myself. When I updated me on my "beliefs," using "rigorous honesty," I realized that most of the stuff I was hearing was as insubstantial as swamp gas, to me. I did not have to reject it, it just wasn't true for me. There are not fairies in the bottom of my garden, space pirates did not steal my puppy, and god didn't get me sober. Do you or they want to talk about how wonderful God is in their lives, fine, great, amen, but that's not my experience, strength or hope. It doesn't offend or in any way hurt (maybe bores a little), nor does it keep me from practicing my spiritual principles: patience, tolerance, kindliness, love, forgiveness and acceptance, to name a few.
Christopher Hitchins has a wonderful analogy about it which I'll paraphrase, "Your god is, to me, like your penis. I'm pleased you have one. I hope it gives you pleasure and fulfillment and is precious to you, but please, don't take it out and wave it around, don't ask me to touch it, and watch out, you're in trouble if you try to cram it down my throat."