View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
muvinon

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
A couple thoughts.

SR is a discussion forum. When people post things, they are going to be discussed. That may include people posting things we don't agree with.

If we want to post something, a thought or experience without really wanting discussion or refute, the blog section here is a good place to do that. Get your thoughts out and usually get little feedback.

I've noticed many posts lately (not just speaking about the 12 step forum) where people share, then others come in and say "sheesh, I didn't put this here so people could disagree with it" or ask "why are you posting here anyway?"...basically implying that other people on SR don't have the same right and freedom to post, share their opinions, etc as anyone else does.

I find that the honesty and variety of experiences, programs and posters is what makes SR such a great support to my recovery. Having my own thoughts challenged, access to the experiences and perspectives of others helps me build a more rigorous and honest recovery for myself.

When I get sensitive, I stop posting because I know I won't be able to gracefully handle the replies. I hope I never say or imply that I don't want someone else to honestly share their feeling and experience, because I do, that is why I come here, to benefit from the shares of others.

Yes, this forum is listed as 12-step. I was thrilled when I found it. And loved some of the discussions with other AA members.

But it's turning into the same ole' anti-AA junk, thread after thread. It's self-selecting, to be honest.

I pop in less and less now. And I wouldn't bother posting a thread myself. I don't enjoy or care for debating with those who have walked away or rejected AA. My hat's off to them. I certainly wish them well.

But I wasn't interested in this forum for that discussion.

Oh well.....powerless over others. But not powerless over my choices of where to spend my own online time.

Moving on here.....