View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Flower Girl

Angry Did I Cause My Son's Alcholism?

undefined
I have a 35yr old son who has had a drinking problem for 20+yrs. His father was very physically abusive to him. Son also suffers from ADHD. I'm feeling quite quilty b/c I did nothing to protect this child from the abuse. His father abused alcohol--but could function at work--pay bills, etc. My son's grandfather died of alcoholism @ age 51--in a tavern. I have had him committed to inpatient 2xs. Once at age 20 and once in Oct. 04. This last time he was not drinking--but smoking pot while in treatment! They discharged him and he went to a local shelter. Was there for about 3 wks b/4 getting kicked out for "who knows what?" I don't know, b/c he would rather tell a lie when telling the truth would be better. I feel so responsible b/c of his childhood, that it is hard for me not to enable him. I also am his mom--and moms love their children! I divorced his father when my son turned 18--but should have done it much sooner. However, I thought I was unable to take care of a family on my own with no training after HS. I have a daughter who struggles with issues--but does not use. She seeks counseling and trys to live a normal life. This is consuming more of my daily life each day. I have made an appointment to see a counselor, and am going to go to Al-Anon again. However, I feel so responsible for his addiction, and he takes advantage of it. Christmas was a total disaster!!! Any encouragement you can give is appreciated.