View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
miamifella

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post

What religion allows a new member to come into it's fold with the knowledge that new member does not and will not believe in the God that religion follows?
Off the top of my head, Unitarians and Buddhists do not even require any belief in a deity. I was recently asked to join a Unitarian congregation and was told that I could join even if I was an atheist.

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
So i rock up to my local Church of England Sunday Service and I ask the vicar about getting married in his church. He then asks my faith and i say i don't have one and even more than that i don't believe in God but i do believe in a higher power and it's a group of drunks that meets twice a week....what do you think he is going to say? The best case scenario is that the church insists that he take an oath to raise his children in that faith and to ensure they believe in God etc.

So how again is AA a religious group?

I guess if you need the approval of a Church of England vicar for a belief to qualify as religious, then AA is not religious.

But there are many people who do not want to be part of any church, but still have their own individual spiritual beliefs about a higher power. I guess you feel religion has to have some organization's stamp of approval, then their spiritual beliefs about god are not religious.