View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uigingeach

Diary of a binge drinker

Hello all, I'm new to these fora; but I have seen a few of these types of threads in the forum and they seem like a good idea. Here's a bit about myself, I'm 19, Irish and I live in Dublin. I'm also an engineering student in Trinity College Dublin. I don't fit into the category of an alcoholic, but my drinking seems to be getting out of hand. When I first started university last year I had never drunk in my life, I was a teetotaller... But my flatmates and friends pressured me to conform and I was weak. I began to drink socially at least one night of the week. Predrinks would mean that I would leave our student accommodation just drunk enough to be merry and not to be refused entry. Of course you'd down an amount of a spirit and mixer just before you go in and it'd hit you in there.

Over the summer I didn't drink, I had no need to since I don't have a dependence on it for living. But since I've moved back up however, I have started partying with my friends and drinking once a week.

Last night I drank too much whiskey. 0.5L of whiskey and a glass three-quarters filled with vodka and one-quarter orange juice. My HTC Sensation XE was stolen, I fell on the pavement and chipped one-quarter of a tooth off, lost my friends, don't remember much at all after 1:30am, was brought to hospital and somehow made my way home partly by walking and the rest by taxi. My parents didn't know I'd ever drunk alcohol and they're very strict about that whole thing. They never went to university or college, so they weren't exposed to much beyond high school.

To be honest, I hate alcohol. I hate its taste and its effects with binge drinking. I feel that this year things have to change for good. I am not a drinker by nature. Although it seems drastic, I think that it's imperative that I give up drinking for good. Not just because of the usual post-hangover phrase "I'll never drink again!", but because it's either one extreme or the other.

So may as well start this Day one: highly hungover, livid parents, lack of a phone and a full tooth. Things can only look up from here. My friends drink way too much, but I'm going to differentiate myself from them. This girl I'm seeing is stopping socially binge drinking as well, so at least I have someone to depend on in times of temptation. Why do I even drink? The after effects are horrible and it's doing nothing but damage. A phone and tooth can be replaced, but liver damage is permanent.