View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I've never been to AA and I feel the exact same way. Kinda cool how different recovery methods can yield the same results!
I'm ecstatic for you that you feel that way and I'm being completely serious.

I'm hoping that the original intent of my post doesn't get lost, my inability to write anything other than a novel sometimes impedes the point from getting through. Who me? noooooo!

The two surface concepts that are used as to why someone doesn't want to use AA as their program:

1. AA is not a religious organization where everyone gets on their knees and prays to one God as you do in church. You don't need to be religious.

2. Admitting that you are powerless over alcohol is not giving up everything that you believe in and succumbing to something. You are simply admitting that all attempts at not picking up a drink have failed therefore you are powerless over alcohol without help. If you weren't powerless you wouldn't need help. Whether you choose AA or an alternate program you are still doing the same, you're just not voicing it.

My own take as to why someone should be more open to trying it.

3. The benefits (at least for me) of AA are far above and beyond that of getting sober. You can learn more about yourself and the world around you and how to make things better regardless of alcohol use. It's not a program to get sober, it's a program that helps you get sober but at the same time it teaches you how to live well.

I never meant to imply that other people can't find their way to peace and serenity by doing their own thing. However, I have tried every other program out there and none have done what this one has. It's my own conclusion and some may disagree. That's ok. Just disheartened by the preconceived understanding of the program.