View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
deeker

Why I dig AA

Other than saving my life here are more reasons why I dig AA meetings . And reasons I hope it gives you hope .

AA provides a haven for the truly down and out who often have no place else to spend a an hour or so of their day .

You can even go to an AA meeting in jail .

What you do for a living doesn't matter to anyone in AA .No one is put on a pedestal .

Nobody is in charge . Our leaders are but trusted servants .

It allows fellowship amongst folks with similar problems and similar outlooks on life .

People can fairly easily get back a sense of self worth and self importance through service work if they are willing .

Making coffee in AA is a highly respectable job .

AA provides a sounding board for those who may feel they have been forgotten by the rest of the world . I know I felt forgotten for awhile .

It can help people with their social skills, public speaking skills and relationships can and are developed .

AA gives us simple problem solving skills like prayer, The Big Book with all it's wisdom and guidance from others which are easy enough solutions for me .

It provides a real escape for people who are facing real life problems such as unemployement, poverty, sadness. It takes us out of ourselves if only for an hour .

AA only has one requirement for membership, a desire to stop drinking, any and all are welcome into it's rooms .

In AA we can identify with others like ourselves and it provides a measure of hope .

We find a a place of acceptance which is almost surreal .

We hear people speak from their hearts about their flaws openly and honestly .

We are not judged, in fact no one even bat's an eyelash when we talk about the terrible things we did .

AA offers a place of refuge for those who feel hopeless and have no where else to go .

We can choose whatever conception of God we like .

You can not be kicked out of AA. Even if you leave . You are always welcome back .

I don't have to be a rocket scientist to approach and apply the steps to my life, just willing .

All the coffee you can drink and sometimes some donuts too!!

It provides a social outlet with monthly gatherings such as dances, picnics, softball games without the temptation to drink .

It taught me how to smile again .

It helps me stay away from a drink one day at a time .

I gave everything away to alcohol and AA gave me back myself .

I really did find hope and that was just the beginning .