Thread: I am back
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
phoebe64

Finding sober friends is a problem. It is not like I hang with a bunch of lushes, but all of our friends do drink, and every gathering offers a glass or two of wine, or more. There are some groups of friends that are more challenging than others. Family gatherings with dh's family involve a lot of drinking.

Hubby is a problem. Once, when he knew i was trying to be sober and had been for most of 4 months, but for one party and Christmas, he works it out that we all go on a brewery tour with free samples on a vacation. Ugh. And he always wants to go to a brew pub in a new area of vacations. He veils his drinking(which I think is too much and a dependency) under the guise of enjoying beer as a "hobby."

I cannot ask him to stop for me. He just won't. He just avoids me when he does drink, if I come out with my plan. Stay on the computer in the basement all night, and I am isolated. When i am successfully sober, I really dislike his drinking. Weeknights are typically 2 beers(but more often 3 of late, since I had increased my consumption), but weekends he will down 6-8 beers. I need to just fix the guest room and go there on those nights. No anger, no fight, no demands, but just make a safe place for me to sleep well and enjoy my sobriety on those nights where he is grossing me out with his drinking.

I need new plans for dealing with it all, basically. The old anger and frustration does not work.

Sorry to just dump it all out. I need to talk myself into this!