View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
UncleMeat69

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
Many people are comfortable with this "one day at a time" approach to sobriety. Its about whatever works. Its not a rule. In fact the only time the Big Book uses the phrase it refers to living life one day at a time.
I personally feel comfortable saying I am recovered and free from alcohol for good. With that comes an understanding of Who is responsible for my sobriety and what I need to do on a daily basis to stay connected to Him.
I'm one of those that is not comfortable with the 'One day at a time" approach.
I am with you on the recovered mind set, so much so that I view myself as in a state of permanent recovery. I can say this with utter confidence because I know if I stay in 'fit spiritual condition" HP will ensure that for this day I will clearly see the truth in the matter of drink (Step 2 fulfilled). I stay in fit spiritual condition by working Steps 10, 11 & 12 on a daily basis and trusting in HP to do the rest.

I used to do the 'One day at a time" thing but my keen alcoholic mind started to tell me if I just did that, there would be no problem. The cunning and baffling part of that thought process ultimately led me to think "I'm doing do it."
Followed by "Aren't I managing well." Eventually that got me drunk after 4 years sober. The truth in the matter of drink for me is that I can't keep me sober "One day at a time." I can't even keep me sober one hour at a time. Permanent recovery for me is "Don't drink today and work my maintenance steps." Working maintenance steps enables me to not drink today by keeping me in conscious contact with the Power that will keep me sober, just for today. In fact, working the maintenance steps removes the urges to drink today and I have freedom from alcohol to live life to the fullest.