View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Thank you, bbthumper, for reminding us of the value of the tools contained in the Big Book. But, it's more than a tool box isn't it? the 12 steps go far beyond each individual step's utility for a given purpose. Finding a Power greater than myself transcends any tool or tool kit.

I do know alcoholics in AA who are many years away from their last drink without having worked through the steps. I do not envy them.

None of the non-step tools that you mentioned were much help to me in early sobriety. I didn't avail myself of them as fully as, perhaps, I should have. Meetings were good for me, but I didn't do any service until I was mid way through the steps. And the slogans were annoying platitudes to me. Thank Goodness that I did find a sponsor who lead me through the steps, enabling me to find a Higher Power who, now, helps me to solve my problem(s).

So, perhaps a balance is in order. And yet, I would argue that working through the steps with another alcoholic is the crucial component. Without the steps what is left to balance?

Human power.

Wasn't enough then. And it's not enough now; not for me anyway.

Your helpful reminder has caused me to be even more grateful and to want to share that gratitude.

~dox