View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Good post OP. I'm not like hypochondriac or some of the other posters here - I can't hang out in pubs or bars nor do I chose to socialize with people at alcohol-themed events. Aside from a wedding, a couple ball games, and some other low-key functions I've pretty much avoided being around alcohol all together. My social life has suffered greatly.

The problem with just meeting people out for coffee, is that none of my old friends would have ever done that. They were drinkers, they don't go out for lattes and mochas, they go out for beers. Another problem with coffee is that it's a morning activity - you don't follow the crowd on Thursday nights after work and head to the coffee shop. Even weekend brunches and breakfasts, with my old friends, are punctuated with bloody mary's and screwdrivers.

I was lucky enough to travel and live in some adventurous places in early recovery, so I got a lot of my socializing done during mountain hikes, beach excursions, and waterfall climbs. Being back in the north and with autumn looming, I'm once again faced with the same dilemma you face.

I have found a few new friends, and continue to revolve my social life around the coffee house for now. It's better than nothing, but I'm craving more, just like you. Hopefully some helpful suggestions will follow, I'm all ears!