View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

I found that once I became comfortable in my sobriety I was able to be around drinking situations no problem. I threw myself in the deep end a bit early on and I was incredibly uncomfortable at first. I remember going to a party after 8 months sober and feeling pretty good about it, and that being around alcohol didn't bother me, but the fact I made such a big deal out of it shows that it was still a challenge of sorts.

The thing I have found is that whether the social occasion is around alcohol or not, it has to be genuinely fun for me to tolerate it now. I think I put up with a lot of boring conversations and events just to have an excuse to drink (like I needed one, but I felt less guilty if it was with people). I have found that people I thought were just drinking buddies are true friends and others who I thought were true friends are less interested in me now I am sober. I don't know if that is because I amuse them less now or if I made them feel better about themselves before... The thing is people may surprise you and only time will tell. You may find your friends are happy to do other things than hang out in bars, and in time you might feel it's okay to hang out with them and not drink. Or you may be bored sh;tless and need new friends I recommend not stressing about this and just seeing what happens. Do what you need to do day by day to get by and stay sober and everything else will fall into place x