View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Surfdawg View Post
For one, we have an upcoming trip to Spain/France and we have always loved having a glass of wine with dinner. It is never in these situations where I have a hard time moderating - it's typically in big group events or nights out at the bars with my buddies.
If the above is true and you're being honest with yourself you may be one of those people who can get away with being the "only on special occasions" type of drinker.

However, I also tried that route too. Only on holidays when everyone is drinking.

One of the funniest, but true, signature lines I've seen on this board is the following:

"I only drink on special occasions, like the grand opening of a pack of cigarettes".

Reminds me of me.

The only other point is that you are currently able to moderate when it's that one glass of wine with dinner but you have a problem when out with friends. If you only drink that one glass and cut out the drinking with friends you might want to heed a warning, sometimes when you do that you allow yourself more because at other times you abstain.

For instance, my last attempt at moderation was "only on weekends" which for me meant Friday and Saturday night. Occasionally there would be an event outside of those two days and I would allow that no more than a few times a month. At the beginning of doing the weekend thing I did ok with it. However, towards the end right before I finally realized I had to stop for good, Friday and Saturday nights were horrific. I drank like a child with a bowl of candy that someone was trying to take away. The rest of the time during the week I was waiting or planning to drink.

What kind of life is that? Just be mindful that moderation progresses from your original set point and is reasoned and altered as you see fit. Refer back to the signature line that I mentioned.