View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Pandorable

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There are also many events/gatherings/etc that take place that do have alcohol available, but it's not the main focus of the event.
This, for me, has been key in my recovery. Like others on this thread, I discovered that hanging out sober with people who are getting drunk is pretty boring. However, after I was relieved of the compulsion and obsession of active alcoholism, I starting being able to (very occasionally) go out to events where alcohol is consumed, and hang out with people consuming it, without being in danger myself. Normies can afford to be a little *socially lubricated* by alcohol in moderation, and I can be around them when they are. My socialization opportunities are really only limited when it comes to events that center around drug use or drinking.

Not being hung over and feeling like crap about myself for drinking again definitely makes me more likely to have a good time hanging out with people, too. However awkward it may feel sometimes (I'm not great at socializing yet, but I'm working on it!), sober socialization is much more fun than having to get a couple drinks in me asap at a party (or before one) so I didn't have to feel like crap. Now I'm free to learn to do the things that drinking prevented me from learning to do, however hard they may be. It's called character, and I'm a better person for it.