View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bbthumper

Treatment vs tools

Howdy folks!

Just have an observation to throw out there. Do with it what you will.
I have come to realize, or have come to form the opinion if you will, the use of "tools" is often stressed more than treatment for alcoholism leaving people lost without even being aware that they are lost. Allow me to explain. So much emphasis is put on phone calls, meetings, sharing, making coffee, staying after meetings, sober people sober places, and around here, posting threads. All great things, no doubt. I'm a fan of them all. They are great supplements to the program. But are they stressed so much that they are often mistaken as treatments for alcoholism? That seems to be the case to me. I often stress the importance of these "tools", especially to new folks, but I hope I never give the impression that they will treat alcoholism. The only "tools" I know of for that job are the 12 steps or more simply, love and service. I know for me, that I need to keep in mind "the message" that the
12th step suggests that I carry and make sure that it is made clear while still offering valuable suggestions such as the "tools" listed above.

ramble, ramble,ramble.......

God bless!