Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
legna

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
I consider any crime my son was involved with a drug crime because he was probably high or trying to obtain drugs when committed.
I couldn't agree more; my own experience as an active addict mirrors this. I would only add that in my experience there are crimes I committed that while they might not be directly connected to the getting or using of drugs, they were connected to the addiction nonetheless.

While I certainly had a part in my treatment by authorities, often I was treated unfairly and that resulted in an adversarial relationship with the law. Some crimes were committed in pure defiance; others were committed because as my respect for authority declined, my decisions were based on my determinations and I no longer followed the law blindly.

Even today, I don't wear seatbelts for instance. The feeling of being tied down creates anxiety and distracts me making me unsafe. I jury rig the seatbelt and drape it over me making it appear that I am wearing it when I am not. In one state that I drive in occasionally, it is illegal to drink anything while driving - even water. I take a medication which has a side effect of giving me extreme dry mouth - I keep a water bottle as needed.

Anyway, I think my point is that many addicts, even in recovery, accept the consequences of getting caught breaking the law in small ways today (like speeding, seatbelts, etc.) but have lost respect for the law over the years from illegal beatings, planting evidence where there was none, harassment, etc. I have forgiven them for these and other transgressions, as I have forgiven myself for my own - but it has forever changed the way that I look at authority.

Forgive me if this isn't clear - I normally have the good sense to not post until after a cup of coffee.