View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Oldselfagain

How do you socialize?

Today is day 50 for me. My problem with alcohol was primarily in my social life. I wouldn't drink alone. My drinking was normally on weekends, with friends, and very heavy. Part of why I've not drank for 50 days is because I haven't gone out, other than a movie, dinner, etc. with my fiancé (who is amazingly supportive of me giving up alcohol) and although not a drinker herself (other than an occasional glass of wine) has given up even that small amount of drinking as a show of support.

Part of my success this far has been "seeing the drink thru" and realising that one drink will inevitably lead to many more. I'd like to go out with my mates, but I don't want to risk that temptation and to be honest, the time away from going out with my crew has certainly diminished my desire to even go to pubs and bars to hang out. The whole bar scene has really lost its appeal. My mates respect my decision to stop drinking. However, they're not the type that want to hang out at Starbucks for a coffee and catch up. Our time together has always been at a bar or pub, laughing, talking sports, etc.

I'm at an interesting crossroads....I don't want to put my sobriety at risk by hanging out in bars, nor do I even really want to do that anymore anyway. These last 50 days have really been an eye opener for me in that I'm so much happier without alcohol in my life. Going forward my social life will continue to change, and one thing I'm certain about is that it won't involve alcohol.

Curious how others' social lives have evolved without alcohol?