Thread: Day one
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sasha4

Hi welcome

Its great to have you here.

I often used to swear off drink after a bad night or a bad hangover.
I would make myself all kinds of promises that I would, never drink again, I was done, I was starting afresh.

The problem was as my hangover got better, my resolve got weaker.
I would go from being in an emotional ditch to thinking that I was fine, I just got carried away, how could I have a problem when I had done 2 days without a drink? Or I would go a week and then think well it's friday, I 'deserve' just one drink. The problem was it was never one drink.

I think part of my plan was to recognise these thoughts or this 'addictive voice' within me for what it was and how to ignore it or not act on it.

I understand what you mean about the Allan Carr book, I have read it myself.

I decided I just wanted to stop.
If I made plans to not drink mid week only at weekends, then I just wished the week away.
If I made plans to have no more than 4 drinks a night, I would soon find ways round it. Like 4 drinks at home but 10 drinks out at friends!
I also had to remember that with me, it never was just 'one drink'. What was the point of one drink to me. It was like torture, I just wanted more and more.

I'm a mum too. I have 540 days without a drink.
Thats mostly due to SR.

I had little clue about alcohol and addiction until I came here.
But by reading and posting, alcohol now has no place in my life and I am very, very happy about about that.

I wish you the best xxxx