View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
4MyBoys
My emotional baggage

I just saw this string and wanted to impart a little information from my experiences with Soberlink. This was a GOD send for a while for me. My ex did great during the visits while on it.

I was even able to let him have the boys for an entire week with no issues. Boys had the best visit they ever had with him. It was wonderful.

Ok now for the backlash. We had a court date the Monday after the week long visit. His side said that he proved there was no drinking issue and the soberlink was removed. He had the boys for another visit the next weekend. Well apparently he had been on a week long binge (he is on medical leave) for that entire week and drank all during his visit with the boys. They had the scariest visit with him they ever had. By Sunday when I came to pick the boys up he was passed out and my 10 and 5 year old had to wake him up to come meet me. He then tried to use his large truck to intimidate me, my Mom and the boys as I tried to leave. Basically he went nuts.

Moral of the story is, Soberlink can be wonderful. It gave me a couple months of worry free visits. The backlash from my XAH, that includes the FU, I will do what I want, when I want, that came when he did not have to use it anymore was horrible. Needless to say he has had to have only supervised visits since then. So the experience was bad, because it was so scary for my kids but good because now the courts can see he does have a problem. As my therapist and lawyer keep saying sometimes you need to let them have enough rope to hang themselves.

I wish you luck and only the positive working with this device. My XAH is more extreme than most A's I think (I think he has PTSD and a few other issues), so you may not have any negatives but I just want to make others aware that you cannot force the use of the device forever and just really pay attention that first week or two they are off of it.

4MyBoys