View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

I know that anxious feeling well. For me, i had to distract myself when i felt that anxiety. I read alot so i would take time to do that or watch a show. Anything to get out of my head. I also worried about who i would be without alcohol. I can honestly say this lasted for at least 3 months. I think it's because i'd lost my sober self for so long. My personality had been repressed because of my drinking. All i knew was this crazy chick who had to have alcohol to function. Now i have to function without it and it kind of feels like i'm trying to write with my off hand. I have to learn how to be my true self. I wasn't my true self while i was drinking but i didn't care. I care now and that puts added pressure on me. I have to concentrate on living soberly and figuring out who i am. The good thing is that the farther away i am from drinking, the more i get to know me. It means a lot of exploring. What do i like when i'm sober? Am i okay doing that thing sober or am i just pretending to like it. In the early days, a lot of my mind was occupied by my drinking. It's not that i did things that i actually enjoyed. I just enjoyed being drunk and letting things happen around me.

Now, i'm exploring new things and that can be frustrating and scary. I'm scared that i won't enjoy things. The truth is, i just enjoy some things while i only enjoyed other things because drinking made me feel good. I have to concentrate on obtaining those good feelings though other means. It's also up to me to allow myself to feel good every day. I have to set myself up for success on a daily basis. That means i have to do the little things that contribute to my overall well being. Simple things like taking a shower, getting an appropriate amount of sleep, putting on my makeup, dabbing a little perfume on (for when i really need a pick me up), brushing my teeth, eating well....all these things are simple things that keep me in a positive mood throughout the day. If i let any of these fall by the wayside, i start to feel crummy. If i feel crummy during the day, i read here or make a quick gratitude list in my head. I say please and thank you and have a nice day often. They make me feel good.

The anxiety will eventually pass but it helps if you keep doing the little things everyday to keep your mood up and your anxiety down. Lots of my friends in recovery do yoga. I ride my bike almost daily. It's the little daily exercises you can do both physically and mentally that help in the long run.