View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wraybear
Caring for the 3 little bears

Conversation with an addict

Why did I even get involved in a conversation?

AH was released from two days in a rehab unit for detoxing from methadone and alcohol withdrawal. This conversation happened on his first day back out...

AH - "I'm calling to let you know what I accomplished today. I went to the methadone clinic and they are going to start me on ___ mg. daily. I will go there every day, except Sunday. There is a $10 copay every time"

ME - "So, are you going to keep your appointment with the Physiologist (phiz-ee-awl-oh-gist - a physical rehab doctor)"

AH - "Yes, i need all the help I can get, but I am not seeing him to get on methadone"

ME - "You told me three weeks ago after meeting with primary care physician that she would not give you methadone and recommended a physiolgist - so, isn't it true that you are seeing him to get methadone?"

AH - "His card says he is a pain doctor, let me get his card and I will read it to you"

ME - "I thought you weren't in pain - You told me since they removed your artificial hip, several months ago, you weren't in pain anymore"

AH - "I'm not in pain"

ME - "then why are you going to a doctor for pain"

AH - "Well, i could save $10 copays"

ME - "so, then you ARE going to see him about getting on methadone"

AH - "I DON't KNOW WHAT I AM SEEING HIM FOR! I HAVE THE APPOINTMENT, SO I AM GOING TO GO SEE WHAT HE SAYS"

This conversaton went on for about 30 minutes. There was crying on his part, he just wants to be drug and alcohol free, that is his goal, he told the methadone clinic that and he has an appointment on Monday with a counselor at the methadone clinic, and he will tell the physiologist on the 11th, and "you don't understand that alcohol is nothing compared to methadone, its like you fall in love with it....I can handle staying off alcohol, but this stuff is BAD" (WHAT???) quack quack quack - let's see, he has had three 5-10 days alcohol binges in the past 14 weeks. When I say binge, I mean non-stop drinking - drinking where you are vomiting for days. drinking where you have bags of vomit laying around your dingy hotel/apt.

This is a guy who has had a hip infection for two years. And he continues to abuse his body with drugs and alcohol. I know, that was a silly comment, he is an addict and this is what addicts do.

Now, do I call the physiolgists office and tell them he has started a program with the methadone clinic? Or do I just stay out of it, and if this addict dies, there is nothing I can/could/should/would do about it?

So, back to my original question...

Why did I even get involved in a conversation?