Thread: London Calling
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
serenitykevin

Good morning all,

Thank you for all the encouragement and greetings.

I am a happy customer of AA. The promises came true and I never thought it possible to wake in the morning and not spend the first hour hour being gripped with fear about yesterday or tomorrow.

I became poorly as a result of my alcoholism and now I am better than I was but don't walk very well and don't work as such. I work in a hospice on a voluntary basis a couple of days a week and I do service in the Fellowship.

It is amazing being sober and as the years mount up it gets better. I like to get to 6am meetings and start the day well. I am also involved in my church and that has been an inspiration.

I don't have a downside to my sobriety but the process of change that happens as a result of being taken through the steps was almost beyond me.

It was only the fact that I had nowhere else to turn and nothing left spiritually, mentally, emotionally or physically that enabled me to stick it out. I hated AA at first and I hated the steps and the programme. I especially hated people at meetings who said, "and I'll finish on this", because I knew we were all in for another 15 minutes.

I stuck it out and risk reward ratio is exponential. I have been given a thousand times more than I ever expected.

The early days are very hard, getting to grips with the programme and the meetings can be a nightmare. My Higher Power has done most of the work for me though and I obviously did survive.

Stick it out please if you can. It is the only place I know where I don't have to explain and I won't be judged.

God Bless You All,

Kevin