Thread: Well
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

hey Xpylej! i'm an atheist/agnostic too. i've come to rely on a power greater than myself to get me though. i don't like to call it God but sometimes that's just a convenient word to use. i prefer to think of it as a Universal Spirit. a force that binds everything together in the moment. i guess what i really believe is that there is energy out there that we can't explain and it can be benevolent or not, depending on your relationship with it. i try to do good and rely on the fact that i am positive and i bring positive energy to my life. so when times are hard and i feel weak, i think of sending my negative energy away to the universe so i have space for the positive energy to come into my life. it's not a Christian god, of course but it's a Higher Power for me.

basically, don't treat spirituality like it's religion. it's just being connected to the Universe. many agnostics believe that there's something out there. they just can't comprehend what it is. it's like, an agnostic doesn't know what God is but he/she knows what God isn't to them. you don't have to define something exactly to have some kind of relationship with it.

i hope i don't seem like i'm harping on this. it's just that for me, when i look at things with a Universal, godlike view, i become less selfish and when i am less selfish, i am more content. i hope this helps in some way, even if only to solidify your resolve that AA's brand of spirituality is not for you.