View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Javajoetoes

I left him and now he wants to change

4 days ago, I finally left my AH. It was a struggle but I stuck to my guns and got out of there. For 3 days he has blamed me and made excuses.....all the usual fare but I haven't given him an inch. Today I received a call from him during which he showed what seemed to be genuine remorse. He said that although he doesn't want to go to AA as he doesn't believe he is an alcoholic he will commit to going to addiction counselling as he believes that he has an addictive personality. He said that he has been relying on me too much and instead of doing things for himself he got used to asking/expecting me to do it. He says that as his friends are all hedonist he is going to stay away from them.
He apologised for his abusive treatment of me and for scaring our child. He says he wants to completely change his life and be a better father. He said that he will respect that I need time to myself and will wait until I'm ready to restart our relationship.
He said lots of positive stuff that he hasn't said before but says he needs to know that I will still be there if he gives me space. He wants to live on the driveway in our caravan. He says because he can't bear to be away from our son and because we live in such a peaceful place...he doesn't want to live on a campsite.
He's asked me to think about it and bottom line, I'm not sure about him being in such close proximity.
I don't want to dump all over his good intentions but I also don't want to find myself in a situation where I am pressured to move forward with the relationship before I'm ready.
If he does the work then I'm happy because I'm four months pregnant, we've been together for 20 years and I do really love him and would be happy to be with him if he's sober and in therapy.
Its been very hard work to get to this point and I want to make sure I make the right decision for me and our son.
Any experience to share...Please?