View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Music

Originally Posted by EndStage View Post
I'm at a place right now where I know what I need to do yet, the thought of completely turning my will over to my Higher Power, in whom I choose to call God, is a little unreal right now.
Just a couple thoughts. Where in step 3 does it say that we turn our will over to God? When you decided to come to AA five months ago, to whom did you give your will to? I too, came to AA feeling a little left out where God was concerned but all I did was ask for help to stay sober and the help was there. I realized after a couple months that I hadn't even thought about drinking because my attention was on meetings and working the steps with my sponsor. Sometimes we can over-think things and confuse an otherwise very simple issue. In answering my first question I'd direct your attention to the wording in step 3. It says, "we turned our will and our life over to the CARE of God as we understand Him." Question: How many times have you flown in an airplane, ridden in a taxi or in a car when someone else was driving, ridden in a bus or train? Did it ever occur to you to check to see who the pilot is or even if there was a pilot up front? How about checking the taxi drivers credentials to see if he's qualified to drive? Why is it so hard to choose a Higher Power when drinking or not drinking is the difference between life and death? I just went on "blind faith" for a long time until I could be comfortable with the idea that God had been with me all along and was the reason I was brought to AA. Don't know about you but the day I went to my first meeting, I didn't wake up with that intention on my mind. Give credit where credit is due. You're not sober because of your will power! Prior to coming to AA, when it came to drinking I had no "will power". When it was time to drink, I drank. What's changed??