Thread: suboxone
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mkintexas

Originally Posted by eddiev6 View Post
Hello I was just thinking how people feel about people on suboxone an go to AA meetings. There are people in the meetings that think that if your on suboxone that your not SOBER, I think that's wrong myself, as long as your taking it as prescribed whats the problem its a med. Its OK to take antabuse an your SOBER. I just don't get it, I think it keeps people away from going to meetings an that's not right if you can't help one then don't hurt them.
There is no right or wrong answer. Technically. Suboxone is a partial opioid agonist. It binds to your receptors just like your drug of choice. However it only partially activates those receptors. Since it is a partial activation the feeling of euphoria is greatly reduced or eliminated. It is this euphoria that we addicts chase.

Are you SOBER? My opinion is both a yes and no.

Yes in that you most likely will stop your drug seeking behavior, you will (or should be working on) the underlying cause while you are taking suboxone.

No in that you are still on a mind altering substance.

I think for the most part when you jump to sub you have begun your journey to sobriety. Suboxone is a tool that helps someone get to their goal.

As far as what those muffin heads say. Who cares. If suboxone is moving you forward to you goal. Then their opinion is about as useful as a wet fart.