View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Hi there, welcome. You are not alone. I found myself in your position around your age as well. Now I'm 38 and over a year sober. Trust me, it can be done. You did the right thing in posting your questions - in my experience I just tried to isolate myself and ignore the problem, and I ended up having some serious health problems. You are right - I was going at your same pace for a few years and eventually it caught up to me. And I'm not talking about a headache or a case of the sniffles, I am talking about serious stuff.

AA freaked me out, but I was introduced to it in treatment so I didn't have a choice. Glad I did it at first though, but it's not really for me anymore. There are many other ways to stay clean - but first you have to GET clean. That requires some planning and dicipline, and quite honestly you have to change your philosophy on how you want to live your life. It's a big, big change. Like starting a new job, or buying a new home - it's major. Good luck in finding that focus, you'll get a lot of good advice here.