Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
trixie56

Originally Posted by DreamsofSerenity View Post
I can see your therapist's point to an extent. Maybe she thinks you are stuck and even getting hurt might help to move you along in recovery.

I can't say that nothing good came from writing my ex. I didn't get what I was looking for from him, but I did get a BIG reminder of how sick the man is. That part was like having a bucket of ice water thrown in my face. In a way, the shock helped me to let go of any magical thinking I had about him, and move on. The problem was, it really hurt.

Maybe you could try writing yourself two letters, pretending they are responses to your letter from him. In one, write what you would like him to say to you, and in the other write what you think he realistically would say to you. You could see how that makes you feel. Perhaps it might make things shift a bit for you.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I know you probably just want closure and to move on. Real closure though can't come from an A, it has to come from changes within you. And those take time. Be gentle with yourself. He may not be able to hear you, or understand how you feel, but we can!

HUGS
Thanks so much for sharing your story. I think writing myself those two letters might really be helpful. I'm definitely stuck on the two possible reactions he could have if I did send the letter. One of those reactions I believe is more likely, and it isn't the one I would want to here.

I'm feeling much better about this whole thing this morning. I'm still conflicted, but feeling less pressure than I was for the past week (pressure I was putting on myself).

Thanks again.