Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
trixie56

Originally Posted by DreamsofSerenity View Post
I just reread your OP.. I see that she thinks sending it might get you out of "limbo". Do you feel in limbo?
I do feel in limbo, but I'm having trouble articulating why. It ended so abruptly and I feel like I don't for sure know why it ended, but in my heart I know it was because of alcohol. Part of me is probably wondering if he'll reappear one day and apologize, because it happened once before. I guess I thought him knowing how I felt would make me feel more able to move on somehow, because by him vanishing I felt like he robbed me of the chance to speak up for myself. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be sensitive to whatever I write, because he's already shown me alcohol is his priority. I mistakingly keep imagining a rational, emotionally healthy person reading the letter and giving it thought. I'm thinking that throwing my feelings out there at him will make me too vulnerable, when he's already hurt me deeply.

My counselor does have personal experience with alcoholics, but I'm not sure if letter writing has proven helpful for her or her other patients.